Conditions of Eligibility
Master’s Level Programs
Microprogram, DESS, Master’s Degree
To be eligible for admission as a regular student in a master’s program, candidates must:
- Have a bachelor degree from Université de Montréal or a degree deemed equivalent;
- Have earned a bachelor degree with a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 out of 4.3 (or the equivalent), have experience deemed satisfactory or demonstrate significant aptitude to undertake master’s studies;
- Agree to the arrangement, in the case of a master’s program with thesis, of being directed by a professor in the selection of their courses and in their research;
- Have sufficient knowledge of French;
- demonstrate adequate proficiency of English or another language, when required by the program;
- Satisfy eligibility criteria specific to each of the programs: it is recommended to consult the Web site of the unit in question.
You can also consult the Master’s programs by field of study.
To be eligible as a regular student for a Ph.D. program, candidates must:
- Hold a master’s degree from Université de Montréal or have academic training deemed equivalent;
- Present an outline of a research project;
- Agree that a professor will provide direction in terms of research and guide them in their course selection;
- Have an adequate knowledge of French;
- Demonstrate an adequate proficiency of English or of another language, when required by the program;
- Satisfy the eligibility criteria that are specific to each of the programs: it is recommended to consult the Web site of the unit in question.
You can also consult the Ph.D programs by field of study.
International students usually have to wait three to six months before obtaining a visa and follow all of the procedures related to their stay in Quebec. If these procedures are not followed in due time, the application for admission could be postponed to a later session.
Foreign candidates who apply for admission to master’s or Ph.D. level programs must verify if the degree obtained in their home country is recognized by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
For any information on admission, registration, tuition fees, financial aid and registration procedures, and the general stay in Canada, we encourage you to consult: